20210124

The beginning of all the mixtapes


I created the yn mixtape series so I can share some tracks I find worthy of a listen and of course for the archive in me, I wanted to look back on these kinds of music just in case I might forget.

Back then there were no accessible streaming sites like Spotify or Apple Music. Well atleast none that I know of. Highschool and college days we use Youtube not to watch vlogs but to listen to music. I am lucky to have friends who are on DSL (not on dial up) internet connection and they are willing to download new music via limewire and share it with us via USB or burn it on CDs. There are literally no skipping of songs! Lol

Anyway, I remember one time during college I was looking for some cool non-mainstream music I would like to use on background for this barkada video I was editing. I have super limited resources back then and would just rely on whatever is free on the internet. Tumblr led me to this page that uploads mixtapes! I think its a curated site for everybody to just put random music into one playlist and share it to the world. I can't find that site anymore though. This was the inspiration.

For yn:6, I collated the music I remembered knowing from that awesome site and added a little bit similar tracks to complete the whole set.